Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Big Girl

I can tell Lily is growing up.  She just understands so much more now than she did even a few months ago.  It is really fun to see her learning each day and coming home with almost a new perspective.  Sometimes its a sad "reality" like school is a lot of "grown up work" or recess is too short and she didn't get to finish the creative game she had made up.  Some days she understands a little more about life, like it's not all about making Lily happy.  She has to focus on making her teachers happy at school and dance and church and her parents at home.  Today she showed me how much she is learning about growing up.

Isaac did something bad this week and I feel really bad for not catching it sooner.  Not my proudest moment here but it relates to a cute story so I have to tell you.  Earlier this week, Isaac drank water from Lily's water bottle and back washed something in it.  WHO KNOWS.  Lily grabbed her water bottle for dance yesterday and I didn't even think to rinse it out or refill it or anything since it was almost full.  Today Lily told me her water bottle tasted really bad but she drank it anyways because she was really thirsty at dance.  I opened it up and it smelled soo bad and had lots of floaties in it.  YUCK.  Bad mom.  So we had a little talk about not ever drinking water when it tastes bad, even if you are thirsty.  I hope she doesn't get sick from this!

So we get in the car to go somewhere and Lily starts telling Isaac not to spit things in her water, rather rudely.  I stopped her before she got too carried away and explained that Isaac is just too young to understand that rule right now and it will be my job in the future to always check that you have a clean water bottle for dance.  I told her she can't yell at Isaac because he doesn't understand.  He didn't just do it so he won't understand why you are talking rudely to him.  She then asked me, "What about when he is like 6, can I yell at Isaac then?  When he does something wrong, can I tell him then?"  I didn't think about it too long but said, "yes, sure, you can tell him if he did something wrong when he is six because he will understand then."  (hoping she would drop the subject).  Then she said, "How old will I be when Isaac is 6?  Because if it is over 8 then I shouldn't yell at Isaac."  I said, "Yes, you would be 9.  Why if you are over 8?"  She said, "Because I would be baptized and have to make right choices."  I smiled at my sweet little girl and thought, "yes, please remember this."  Then she went on to say, "What about when Isaac is 4?  Can I yell at him then?  How old will I be?"  I just smiled and chuckled a little to myself.  Then I decided she probably shouldn't be yelling at her brother any time and told her to let Mom do the teaching and she can just teach Isaac by being a good example.

No comments: